Monday, March 2, 2009

Fixing Up My Old Practice Guitar Amp

Here are some photos of my recent project to rejuvinate an old practice guitar amp.
I am using a power supply to power it up. It's your typical 12-volt/13.8-volt DC power supply from a surplus electronics place. Better than batteris, although I could hook up a 12-volt battery in it's place if I want to use it somewhere away from AC current. Or I could use a bunch of D batteries.


It's got a nice power transistor on the back with a heatsink, to dissipate all that heat from crankin' up the volume. Cool (or Hot, however you want to look at it).




Here's a close-up shot of the amp chip. This amp is actually powered by an integrated circuit amplifier. All the transisters and what-not are on a single chip! This has some advantages and disadvantages. The main thing is it makes the whole circuit nice and small. The chip also has a heat-sink on it, to dissipate all that heat from crankin'up the volume.
I've got the amp board wired to an 8" speaker that was once a woofer in a small set of bookshelf speakers. It seems to have a decent treble response, at least for a practice amp.
Here's the amp hooked up to the power supply.
I hope to put this thing into a real cabinet sometime soon. Right now it's just sitting in a cardboard box, which isn't the best way to go.
Here's a little sample of that powerful tone. Actually, it's not that loud. I think the chip is only capable of about 8 watts of output. Not much, but this is only intended to be a little practice amp.
Rock on people.

No comments: