Monday, February 22, 2010

New Shocks On My Truck

Recently I had the shock absorbers on my truck (AKA "Shocks") replaced. It seemed like my tires were wearing faster than usual, and my neighborhood repair shop said my shocks looked old and maybe even original to the truck. The truck has over 78,000 miles on it, so I got them replaced. WWWWOOOOOOOWWW! What a difference good shocks can make. I ride over the same bumps in the road that made me think "Wow, what a crappy road this is, they should fix all these huge bumps." and now I hit the same bumps and think "Wow. What a smooth road this is if you just get your crappy shocks replaced with new ones." You see, with old, crappy shocks, your tires do not stay in contact with the road when you run over bumps and potholes. With new, good shocks, tires stay in contact w/ the road just fine, and they do not wear out anywhere near as fast. Every time the tire loses contact with the road and then touches down again, it wears off some rubber.

I meant to take some pictures but we're getting a lot of new snow today, so words will have to do. Hopefully I can get this post up to a thousand words to make up for the lack of a picture.

So, if you have a car or truck with old shocks, bite the bullet and spend the bucks to get new shocks & you may feel like you have a new vehicle. Plus, your tires will last much longer, PLUS IT'S MUCH SAFER in case you have to slam on your brakes in a traffic situation where you need to stop fast unexpectedly. Plus, it's just cool to know you have a conversation starter the next time you are hangin' out w/ friends & family.

No comments: