Thursday, November 12, 2009

Old Computer Motherboards


Today is Friday the 13th, and this is my 113th post.

What a coincidence. I'm feeling lucky. Strange how this blog always puts a time stamp on my posts that is west coast time, but I'm on the east coast and my PC is set to the correct time & time zone.







I have a couple old computer motherboards that have some cool chips on them. They seem to be Intel 286-based boards and they each have a 287 math co-processor on them

They do not have the main 286 CPUs, apparently they were stripped, along with the ROM chips on one board.



















The 287-3 co-processor has a nice bit of information at http://www.cpu-museum.com/ and I've even seen this and similar chips on e-bay.















Here's how RAM looked in the old days. These 2 boards have what they called 'piggy-backed' chips, since there was one chip soldered right on top of another.



It amazes me how much information you can find on the internet about old computer technology that hardly anyone has anymore.

No comments: