Monday, January 26, 2009

The Garmin Nuvi

As I mentioned in a previous post, I got a Garmin Nuvi for Christmas. It's a GPS device. At first I thought - "I don't need a GPS device, I never get lost." Then I used it for awhile and found it has some cool features.


Even if you don't get lost ever, like myself, you can still use this device for tracking mileage, average speed, it leaves little blue lines on road you've driven on, and more. I even downloaded a cool blue monster truck icon, to represent my powerful persona, of course, from the Garmin website. Totally unnecessary, but cool.
I also found out this device can be used to find places, like restaurants, gas stations, places for entertainment, amusement places, and other useful places. It can find phone numbers and give directions. It searches for places within your current location.

Plus it has the ability to be used while your ride a bicycle, or if you just walk around. It can see how fast you are going, what direction, puts you on a map, finds average speeds, how much time you are moving, how much time you're stopped, and a bunch of things I'm still discovering. It has a built-in battery that charges from a USB connection to a computer, or you can use a cable that goes into the lighter socket in your vehicle.

It even has a voice that tells you when to turn right or left, when you program in a destination. Plus, if you decide you don't want to turn when it tells you to, it doesn't get mad at you, like a human direction-giver would do. It just recalculates your next turn, and keeps it's mouth shut. Way too cool.

No comments: